Scrumptious Summer Strawberry Salsa
Spring has sprung and so have strawberries! A beloved seasonal fruit, strawberries have found their way into the cuisine of many nations throughout the world. While they are frequently found in desserts or even just by themselves for easy snacking, strawberries can contribute a subtle yet refreshing flavor to savory recipes.
One savory recipe you need to try is summer strawberry salsa. It’s perfect for Cinco de Mayo or any upcoming spring or summer celebration. Grab the chips, tacos, or fajitas (or the spoon for that matter!) and dig in to this fresh and fun central American inspired salsa!
- 1 pint strawberries, stems removed and finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, stem and seeds removed, finely diced
- ¼–½ cup red onion, peeled and finely diced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped and loosely packed
- 2 T fresh lime or lemon juice
- pinches of salt and black pepper, to taste
- optional 1–2 T honey or cane sugar for sweeter salsa
Combine and toss all ingredients. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve with chips or over your favorite tacos, fajitas, or burritos. Yields 4–6 servings. Enjoy!
*adapted from “Gimme Some Oven”